Tuesday, January 31, 2012

pichakawan





When I was a kid... my dad used to bring me along during his fishing trips (panayrinyan, panuhuan, pilawngan, etc.). Of course at that time... there's still no yahoo weather or the likes. It was a mystery to my curious mind why did he know the perfect weather in an island like ours. Batanes is as always sitting on an angry storm. I used to watch him stare at the empty clouds every morning before we go out in the sea. Then he would say "tu mavid kawan charaw. may ta mayavavang." So we then prepare our fishing gears (bedberen, akna, palikpik, buya, mavaw a dukay, inchuhus, pana, sakdit, sahakeb, tutuyan, etc.) and headed for the calm horizon. We never had a good catch as long as I remember but the memories linger in my head as good old days. As I grew older... dad tried to show me how to read clouds... He said "tumangay ka as kachideb mud pangwanan salawsaw...." then started drawing and naming the directions. He also told me the good fishing weather and the others. I was eager to learn then (yeah... I once dreamed of being a good fisherman) but once technology hit me, I become net dependent.... I didn't have to look at the sky or memorize wind direction.... yahoo can give me even chances of rain and wind speed. It was recently when I realize that my actions may lead to extinction of the good old kapchakawan days. I tried to review but due to lack of reference here in far far away land... I was not able to name/label all the wind directions correctly. Red are the primary. Blue are the secondary. The greens are the ones i forgotten and probably miss-labelled. there are also other directions I completely forgotten. If any Ivatan (or non-ivatan) who can help me with this.... it would be greatly appreciated

1 comment:

Noli Gabilo said...

Great! Very informative and true.

In Sabtang we will say 'kapaychakawan.'

Thank you for this! Informative!